Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

"..ThE AmErIcAn iNfLuEnCe..."

By this post im not tring to convey any messege about the politics , cast , sex or creed  nor am i trying to bring out the domination of the U.S over the rest of the world. But simply what im trying to point out is their influence in the "English" language which is the most used language in the entire world i should say.

Now being an Indian and especially a Keralite we tend to have what is known as the MTI factor.. yup you guessed that right its called the Mother Tongue Influence. Now this is generally seen in almost all the language that we speak doesnt matter if it is English , Hindi or any other language which ever it maybe. A certain amount of time is required to develop and come out of that habit.. you cant just straight away speak English like the british considering the fact the language originated from Britain.I for myself when i was really young and in my early teens had this habit of imitating the " American " style of speaking English because i thought it was really cool. I never had to worry much about the MTI factor as my mother ( an English teacher) always used to speak to me in English though i responded to her only in "malayalam".... the "malyalam" that i get from my friends... well mostly the foul words.. ;p..i learnt that quick.. but then im really thankfull to her as she took good care that i never got influenced by the MTI. But still then later on she happened to quit as i got really influenced by many of the American TV shows and i listened to a lot of American hip-hop... :p.. Only later did i come to know the effect that that was having over the public( family and friends) that people started calling me a faker.
I was not trying to fake them anymore but i was so into their pronunciation that i couldnt help it anymore. I had this trouble eveytime i speak something or spell something because the American spelling is different and is more according to their own pronunciation. I used to talk a lot of trash too like a nigga from the hood and my friends would be like " SIDDDD....STFU!!" ..well and yes people did start to think im wack and i started getting isolated..  some of those days i used to spend a lot of time infront of the mirror talking to myself and correcting myself.. crazy i know but guess it worked out pretty well..and so my advice to everyone out there especially the Indians .. please do not copy any style .. what i believe is that the Indian way of speaking English is presently the best way .. because its clear and correct and everybody doesnt matter if it is an aussie , an american or a british .. they all understand us well.. so take pride in it... but once you start faking yourself and try to become like them.. Believe me you'll end up the laughing stock.. and so the bottom line is...

Be YoUrSeLf!!

1 comment: