Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

feeling the last rays of... SUN




I would be lying if i  didn't admit the fact that this bangalore visit has been a one to remember.. I packed my bags and hauled myself to bangalore on the 7 th of october 2010.. It was an eagerly awaited journey to meet my brother who works for SUN MICROSYSTEMS bangalore.. i met him in the evening on the 8th after his lecture to the trainees that day .. and quite honestly he was exhausted.. we strolled to the place he stays which is at victoria layout in bangalore..and im with him till date.. To be frank the reason i came to bangalore was to search for a job ( yes im still unemployed .. and yes its been 5 months since college) in bangalore.. Well it did not start on the right note.. so i just decided to take some time off and see his work place at SUN.. Though i was not into software (i dint know much about it actually) , i was aware of the acquisitions going on with ORACLE buying SUN and so on.. I never expected anything but i just came to see the place.. And my my.. i wasn't disappointed .. the way everything is put up at this place .. the service the communication .. the atmosphere...the environment to work.. the equipments which include the SUN RAY and THE BLACK BOX everything is just top notch.. i have been into IT companies before but never before have i stepped into a place like this.. it was like being in a totally different dimension of its own and so far the best company that i have visited.. ( no wonder ORACLE paid around 7.4 billion to acquire the company).. i have been into pubs in my life and work stations .. but SUN workstation is a mixture of fun,work, drama, .. you name it they have it.. its a dream environment im sure anybody would wish to work under.. and quite frankly i did too.. but as if for now.. ORACLE has almost begun its surge in almost all the countries and its just a matter of weeks before SUN INDIA would becomes a part of ORACLE... Nevertheless being at this place has just elevated my mind.. and has sort of given a confirmation to my mindset that this is a sort of environment where i want to work in.. I dont think such a community exists in my field which is the automotive sector but still if it does ill just grab on to it with both hands and im never gonna let go... anyway.. it has been 3 days now that iam a frequent visitor at SUNS office and i just dont feel like leaving the place even after the sky darkens.. meanwhile i have put my job search on hold as something else has caught my mind.. the so called.. SOLARIS.. a language??? no thats what i thought it was too.. but it aint.. its an OS.. and a real real strong one.. my days at SUN floor has just given me a fascination on this OS and learning it.. now i know this has nothing to do with my field, but i dont know i just want to learn it.. so i have started of learning unix and THE GREAT LARRY WALLS.. PERL .. people do think that im crazy at times because im just doing the reverse on the degree that im holding.. but i guess this is what i am and im a bit stubborn at times... It has been an interesting journey in programming for me with my brother assisting me with every step that i take, carefully measuring what i have to keep and what i dont have to...  coming to think of it i believe he is having a tough time as programming has never been in my head and this is the first exposure that im having.. regardless of the small amount C that we learnt in college for name sake.. and which i was least interested too...

I wish i had been here before when they had the sun solution center and when they had provided courses on SOLARIS and other sun softwares and hardwares.. but this ultimately has turned out as the last gasp that im taking in.. more likely the last rays of the sun... Before it gets dissolved.. In the future i wish to look back at this and say.. yes i have seen SUN MICROSYSTEMS .. i have been there.. and most importantly .. i know SOLARIS and i love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment